Saturday, January 24, 2009

email from ethiopia from jacob

Hi Everyone,

Don't know if the blog is working or not, the internet runs very slowly in Ethiopia, not to anybody's surprise. But, I am glad for it so I can share with you more recent developments.

Our son has been adjusting beautifully! We spent some time with him on Friday and Saturday at the care center. Saturday, as you may have already read, was a big improvement. He smiled at me and Nehama and Nehama's mom, Denise, giving and blowing us kisses. We had good outside time. He loves to play on moving vehicles! The faster we go, the bigger his smile. My heart just melted when he fell asleep on me and then broke when I had to give him back.

Sunday, we had an intense but really rewarding trip south to Hossanna where we had a chance to meet our son's birth mom. Nehama had the longest conversation with her of all the adoptive/birth parents' meetings and Denise and I were waiting and wondering how it was all going. Denise was worried, but I thought that if it were going longer, that was a really good sign. In the end, it was a good sign! We had a sweet and moving entrustment ceremony between birth and adoptive parents and then celebrated with a traditional Ethiopian coffee ceremony. I cried both times I had a chance to greet and hug our son's birth mother. What an amazing and wonderful opportunity. I tried to remember everything I could so that one day I can add the details of my memory to what our boy learns about his birth parents.

On Monday, we took our son back to the guest house where we are staying for the first time. Nehama picked him up and carried him in the baby Ergo carrier on the bus ride. We were nervous about how he would do, but apart from being a little moody - it wasn't our idea, but we were scheduled to get him right in the middle of his nap time! - he was okay. One thing that's definitely true about this kid - change is difficult for him, but not impossible. After he warms up, he does just beautifully. He slept in Nehama's arms during the better part of what would be his nap time. Then we played together with his little school house toys in the guest house. We gave him his first bottle from us on Monday at the guest house. He ran like a fiend to get it from us. We couldn't get it ready fast enough! When we took him back, I carried him and he was very reluctant to let us go. It was good for the nannies to see him so attached to us. I think they need the transition
as much as we do.

Yesterday, I was sick in the morning. Thankfully, not too bad. Seems like I drank some bad water, or something. I've been taking medication and will be just fine. Nehama and Denise picked up our son at the care center for his goodbye party which I was very very sad to miss. Apparently, he was having a tough time, too, and missed much of it. Thankfully, they got it on video. In the afternoon, when I was up, he was asleep. Then Nehama and he went off to the US embassy to get his visa for travel. We are all set to bring him home tomorrow!!!

Last night, we had our first night all together in the guest house. At the care center, they have all the kids above 12 months on potty time. So, we tried it too, after dinner. No luck. Then we played some more and went back to our room. We tried some more with potty time. Still no luck. We gave him a half bath as is his custom, and then I got the pleasure of putting him to sleep. We sat together with him on my lap while he sipped on a bottle of water. As he seemed to be falling asleep, I tried to take his bottle. He wasn't quite ready for that yet. He squirmed out of my arms and picked up his bottle and then squirmed back into my arms. I held him some more until he seemed disinterested in the bottle, and sang to him. Then I gave him a big kiss and put him in his crib. He stared up at me and I rubbed his belly while putting his blanket on him. Then I opened the door and closed it, as if I'd left. But I sat down in the chair near his crib. He played just
a bit then fell right to sleep. When he was sound asleep, I left. I am definitely developing that watchful father instinct. Every sound that came from his direction, I was off to listen more closely. Good thing we have a baby monitor for the house.

This morning, Nehama got us all up at 6:45am. We fed him a bottle and then did potty time. Lots of luck! We all took showers and got ready for our day. He's sleeping right now next to me. Nehama took him out in the stroller and he cried a cry and then fell asleep. We had a morning of toys and fun and peek-a-boo.

It is such an amazing experience to have gone from a skeptical few days to have him clutching on me or see him flash a big smile for Nehama or Denise. Before we got to take him back with us to the guest house, he began to cry when Nehama or I had to let go of him. It was hard to let him go and leave, but it was all a part of the process. He's attaching to us just fine.

We have a day and a half plane ride ahead of us, beginning tomorrow night. That'll be tough, but I think we're in a good place. I'm looking forward to introducing our little bundle of joy when we get back.

Fondly,
Jacob

p.s. Don't forget to call when you want to come over to make sure it's a good time. We'll be at our apartment in Inwood, 5000 Broadway, between 212 and 213, in Manhattan. My cell phone number is 646-369-0852.

No comments:

Post a Comment